VBT# Darrell King - Part 2




Today's VBT# is Part 2 of the Darrell King "Mo Dirty" Tour as part of the "Pump Up Your Book" Virtual Tours. Youv'e read the review, now we get inside the head of Urban Fiction author Darrell King with an Interview.


Mo' Dirty

Interview With the Author : Darrell King :

1) Tell us about your book Mo’ Dirty?


“Mo' Dirty: Still Stuntin'” is a thrilling sequel to my 2005 novel "Dirty South" it pretty continues on with the underworld drug dealing adventures of the infamous crime family of New Orleans, the Lake clan.

2) Are you a fan of the crime/thriller Genre and if so what are some of the books that you have enjoyed in this genre besides your own?

I'm a huge fan of African American crime/thriller genre better known as “Urban” or “Street” literature. I enjoy almost anything by K'wan, and Nikki Turner. I also really like novels from the pioneers of the genre, Donald Goines, and James Beckford AKA ”Iceberg Slim".

3) What gives you the innovation to write a particular genre?

Gangsta rap really sets the mood for me. Especially hits from Tupac Shakur, and The Notorious BIG. Now that's innovation for you!

4) Has your characters or writing been inspired by friends/ family?

There are several characters that I’ve based loosely on individuals I’ve known as an adolescent. As a youth i lived in a pretty rough neighborhood, so many of the activities i observed were rather unsavory to say the least.

5) Did you experience writers block? If so, what did you do to get rid of it ?
I believe that there is not a writer alive today, as well as the great wordsmiths of days gone past who didn't have to deal with the annoyance of writer's block. I simply step away from the manuscript for a while and focus on something other than writing. Usually afterwards when i return to writing my mind's totally refreshed & refocused.

6) What are you working on now?

I'm currently working on the third installment in the “Dirty South” series.

7) What is your favorite scene in your book?

I would have to say the standoff between Whiskey Battle the gangsta and Mickey O' Malley the police chief... intense!

8) Had you previously written anything?

Yes. Mackdaddy: Legacy of a Gangsta (Publishamerica,2004), Dirty South (Triple Crown Publications, 2005), How Do You Want It: The story of Southeast Trina (Urban Books, 2007), Great novels all of them!

9) Were there any scenes that were cut in the editing process you wish had made it into the book?

Generally I’ve pretty much have had nearly 90% of my original plots left intact within my novels.

10) Can you give us one fun fact we might not know about Mo'Dirty ? Something about the story itself or the writing process?

Mo' Dirty features a great deal of information about the Gullah culture of the low country regions of both South Carolina & Georgia.

11) How did you get into writing? Did you always want to become a writer?

I was very attracted to comic books and the bigger than life characters, & colorful, vividly exciting storylines within their pages as a child. i would duplicate in my own youthful way the panel style & action packed scenes with my own versions of comicdom's popular heroes and villains, viola! an author was born!

12) If you were stranded on a desert island, what are three material things you couldn't be without?

my lady, my kids, & my computer.

13) What are you reading now?

"ePublish: self~publish fast and profitably for Kindle, CreateSpace, iPhone and Print on Demand" by Steve Weber

14) Which author has inspired you most and why?

K'wan Foye. Not only is he tremendous author whose been a powerful force in African American literature in general and Urban literature in particular whose work i both enjoyed and gained inspiration from, but he's also been a really close friend of mine as well.

15) What advice would you give aspiring authors?

Study your craft, never give up, and most importantly have fun & enjoy the ride that is your writing career!

16) As a Quotes Person I always like to ask To finish off, do you have a quote or poem that has stuck with you over the years and what is the story behind it?

”Carpe Diem” ( Seize the day, or moment), i heard it uttered on a movie once, and I’ve since adopted the saying and live by it every single day. Love, Peace & Hairgrease yall! I'm out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid