VBT# Author Interview - Jesi Lea Ryan


Today's VBT# spotlight is an Interview with the author Jesi Lea Ryan. Her book is called " Four Thousand Miles".

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs322.ash2/60191_152088434814428_152086598147945_323661_8146743_n.jpg

Author Interview:

1) Tell us about your book Four Thousand Miles ?

Four Thousand Miles is Women’s Fiction with a strong romantic element to it.
When Natalie Spencer loses both her career and marriage in the same morning, the emotional shock sends her on a spontaneous journey to England. There, she is nearly mugged in a Tube station, but an introverted songwriter named Gavin Ashby scares off again?

2) Are you a reader of Women's fiction and if so what are some of your favourite titles to read ?
I’ve been reading Women’s Fiction for a long time. I love Jodi Piccoult. She novels are always so emotional, and I love how she always bases the stories around impossible moral dilemmas. One of my other favorites is Jennifer Weiner. Her novel Good In Bed had me laughing out loud! Her characters are so wonderfully flawed and believable. I also love Maeve Binchy.


3) What gives you the innovation to write a particular genre?
For me, it’s about the story. I didn’t sit down and decide I was going to write Women’s Fiction; I just sat down and started writing. In fact, I’ve written some Literary Fiction, personal memoire, and Young Adult Fiction also.

4) Has your characters or writing been inspired by friends/ family?
Very little! I honestly try not to do that, because I don’t want to put them in uncomfortable positions. As authors, we are not always kind to our characters. Once in a while I will name a very minor bit character after someone I know. In Four Thousand Miles, I named Emma’s teacher at the deaf school Miss Bethany after my sister-in-law who teaches deaf children and gave me a lot of information on how to handle a deaf character. The teacher doesn’t even really appear in the story, she is only mentioned in conversation.

5) Did you experience writers block? If so, what did you do to get rid of it?
If I’m blocked, I walk away and do something else. There is no point in torturing myself by sitting in front of a blank screen and staring at the blinking cursor. I get my best ideas while day dreaming as I’m doing other things.
I also have a writing partner who helps me work out blocks. Since she is a writer as well, we will discuss our plot or character issues and do brainstorming sessions. I can’t tell you how valuable she has been for me!

6) What are you working on now?
I actually have two works-in-progress. Both of them are Young Adult Paranormal which is very different for me. I’ve traditionally written realistic fiction. This is the first time I’ve tried to tackle paranormal or fantasy elements. I’m finding it incredibly fun!

7) What is your favourite scene in your book?
It’s a small one, but my favorite scene to write was when Natalie and Gavin have their first dance alone in his family’s bar. It’s really the first time they get close to each other in a way that goes beyond friendship. I’ve always loved those feelings you get in the beginning of a relationship when everything is new. It’s like a drug!

8) Had you previously written anything?
I’ve published a few short fiction pieces in some regional literary magazines and I’ve written a ton of insurance articles for newsletters, but Four Thousand Miles was my first attempt at a novel. I’m just blown away that it has gotten published and has sold as well as it has! I’ve discovered that I’m actually a much better novel writer than a short story writer. I need room to move around with my characters.

9) Were there any scenes that were cut in the editing process you wish had made it into the book?
Actually, my publisher edited my novel with a very light hand. It only took me two days to complete the entire editing process! No major revisions were needed.

10) Can you give us one fun fact we might not know about Four Thousand Miles? Something about the story itself or the writing process?
The story takes place in several locations. I’ve actually been to every place described in the novel except Harrods Department Store. In order to write that scene, I had to watch YouTube videos posted by tourists who visited the store. I’m so worried that someone will point out some glaring mistake I made!

11) How did you get into writing? Did you always want to become a writer?
I’ve always loved to write, but I didn’t have the confidence in myself when I was younger to turn it into a career. I majored in Creative Writing and Literature when I was in college, but ended up working in insurance for a number of years. It wasn’t until I got downsized out of my job that I turned to writing seriously.

12) If you were stranded on a desert island, what are three material things you couldn't be without?
An e-reader fully stocked with books, a laptop with internet access and Q-Tips!

13) What are you reading now?
Lately, I’ve been reading a lot of Young Adult books. I’m learning the market since that is the genre of my next book. I actually keep a record of the books that I read on my blog. You can check it out at http://diaryofabibliophile-jesilea.blogspot.com/ . I love chating with people about the books I read, so comments are more than welcome!

14) Which author has inspired you most and why?
I read so much that it’s really hard to pinpoint one particular author that has influenced me. I think I am constantly learning my craft through the books that I read. I suppose some of my favorite authors would be Oscar Wilde for his wit, Charlaine Harris for her campy humor, Richelle Mead because her books are like crack to me, Jodi Piccoult for her moral dilemmas and Jack Kerouac for his mastery of the metaphor. I’m not saying I write like any of these people, but I think they influence me in different ways.

15) What advice would you give aspiring authors?
Be prepared to work hard. Don’t take rejection personally. And don’t give up.

16) As a Quotes Person I always like to ask To finish off, do you have a quote or poem that has stuck with you over the years and what is the story behind it?
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” ~Bertand Russell. I love this quote because so much of my free time is spent on the couch reading books and to people who are not readers, this may look like a waste of time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid