A Bundling Idea:
By Paula Phillips – The Phantom Paragrapher
It’s that time of month again, it’s Literary Musing Time and this month I’ve decided to share with you some insider information of what I’ve been doing in our teen department at the library I work at in New Zealand.
By day, I work as a Children’s and Teen’s Librarian at Greerton Library and It is my job to come up with fresh ideas to get teen’s into the library and for the teen collection to keep on movin’ around. While reading a few months back , the VOYA ( Voice of Young Adults) Literature magazine, it had an article about an American Library and a idea that they had created in order to get books in their teen section moving around and help teens discover those forgotten authors and not just stick to ones like Stephenie Meyer and Suzanne Collins. It was also a chance to remind teens that there are other books besides Vampire and Werewolf novels – though not that I am not a huge fan of them myself.
What is a Book Bundle?
It is a group of three books bundled together with twine and I have used a coloured tag to identify the books in the bundles. I bundled the books together in threes as I figured that more than three books, teens might not take and I was successful as plenty of the bundles are going out fast , it’s like a Lucky Dip Version of Library Books.
Some Book Bundle Topics:
Depending on what your library carries a lot of can depend on the different titles that you use to put the bundles together, here is a list of some of my bundle categories I used.
Bare Bones – Non-Fiction stories about Eating Disorders
New Zealand Fiction #1 and #2
Adventure Fiction – Hanging on the Edge
New Books #1-#2 #3 etc
I vant to suck thy vlood – A Collection of Vampire Tales
I’m losing my mind – Books about Mental Illnesses
Oh no, I started a Cult – Books about Cults or New worlds
Living in a Dystopian World – Dystopia Novels
Vampires, Werewolves and Demons , Oh My
Sensationally Supernaturally Sexy
The 3’F’s – Fun, Fashion and Faeries
Girlfriend Fiction – 3 Books in the Girlfriend Magazine Fiction Series
TCF – Teen Christian Fiction
Upper East Side – Contained Gossip Girl, IT Girl and Private Novel
Life on the Edge – Adventure Novels
Bond. Jane Bond. – Collection of Spy Girl type Books.
Have you got any ideas on how to bring teens to the library? Any awesome Ideas? Come Join till Next Month on The Phantom Paragrapher.
Signing Off till April, I am The Phantom Paragrapher.
Thursday, March 31, 2011
Wanting to succeed in whatever you do with God's perspective in your life , with this amazing new non-fiction book by Jim Tressell and review copy provided by Tyndale Publishers.
If you think you’re beaten, you are;
If you think you dare not, you don’t.
If you’d like to win, but think you can’t,
It’s almost a cinch you won’t.
If you think you’ll lose, you’re lost,
For out in the world we find
Success begins with a fellow’s will;
It’s all in the state of mind. . . .
Think big, and your deeds will grow;
Think small and you’ll fall behind.
Think that you can, and you will;
It’s all in the state of mind.
If you think you’re outclassed, you are;
You’ve got to think high to rise.
You’ve got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.
Life’s battles don’t always go
To the stronger or faster man,
But soon or late the man who wins
Is the fellow who thinks he can.
It’s all in the state of mind!
Walter D. Wintle
Wednesday, March 30, 2011
Wanting a dystopian novel that sets your heart a-flutter ? This book is perfect for anyone who loves a good dystopian world novel .
Review : The Unidentified - Rae Mariz - October 2010
Imagine living in the future, where everything is controlled and every aspect of your life is basically part of a giant game from how many friends you have on facebook , to what you eat, wear, who you hang out with, your grades and what you do in your spare time. There are still your infamoyus cliques, but they control that part of society and of course their are those who rebel against the system, the society . They are called "the unidentified". When Kid notices a stunt pulled by the group and posts it on her page, she is the only one intrigued to find out who in fact are "the unidentified". However , every step is being watched and recorded as Kid is suddenly caught up in the world of Trendsetters as there are some who believe that she knows just who "the unidentified" are and can lead the sponsors right to them, but in reality Kid has no actual idea - as she posted the video as she was intrigued by them and wants to join their regime. Can Kid find the Unidentified before it's too late and she too is brainwashed to become a trendsetter and what will happen when Kid starts going against the system, will this prove to her who her real friends really are ?
Find out in this amazing dystopian novel that will have you entertained from page One. It kind of had an Equilibrium feel to it with a hint of D.O.A / D.E.B.S .
Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Todays Top Ten Tuesday is a special one for me as I firstly have spent most of today re-creating my blog and adding things and making it more prettier :) so people do comment if you noticed , which I hope you do LOL. Today is Top Ten Authors Who I think deserve more recognition.
- Tina Reber - She wrote Love Unscripted which I have reviewed on my site and guess what , I am going to be a character in her next book Love Unrehearsed :)
- Sara Evans and Rachel Hauck - Sara Evans is mainly known for her country music but the book she wrote with Rachel Hauck - The Sweet By and By was awesome and I have the sequel Softly and Tenderly on my TBR Pile
- Amy Efaw - Her Book After was one of the best books I have ever read about the decision to rid a baby and Teen Pregnancy and the effects of the teen not just focused on the baby.
- Melody Carlson - She is one of the best Edgy Christian Fiction authors I have ever come across for teens especially. Read "Finding Alice" if you have never read any of her books.
- Nancy Rue - Another wonderful teen/adult christian writer - I just read the most amazing book by her titled "The Reluctant Prophet".
- Karen Kingsbury - Not to go preachy on people and force them to read Christian fiction but there are definitely some awesome and amazing wonderful christian writers who go unnoticed and Karen would have to be at my top of the list.
- TL Mitchell aka Tracy Mitchell - She is the writer of several Paranormal Romances including The Nightman - she has also started up her own small publishing company called KRP - kNightRomancePublishing.
- Caroline Overington - Her book Ghost Child was amazing , words cannot describe it and what it is about , you have to read it.
- James Rubart - His book Rooms is one of the very few books if I could rate it out of 10 , It would get a 10/10 which for me is really rare, I was blown away with it.
- Michelle Holman - She is New Zealand's most fabulous Chick Lit writers and she is hilarious and one to always make you smile with her books.
- Have to add a P.S and add Jennifer Brown to my list as I think everybody should read her book "The Hate List" - It is about an aftermath of a massacre , though not focused on the massacre at the high school itself but on the people involved , its truly amazing.
It's interesting what you discover when you well - discover new publishers and authors as I always thought that Carina Press only focused on Erotic Fiction etc but I found out that they also write mystery thrillers and Science-Fiction , Military stories.
A half-Chinese drifter, much isn't expected of Nick. Like the other members of 47 Echo, he's viewed as little more than cannon fodder. However, Nick's sense of honor, analytical mind and skills on the battlefield just might be what the squad needs to survive the meat-grinder that is the front lines of this bloody war. But can Nick himself survive the brutal crimes that haunt his past and will the fact that he is half-chinese give him a bit of a leeway in the war of the worlds ?
If you enjoy military novels and authors like Andy McNab , Clive Cussler , Iain Gale , Robert Goddard and Robert Ludlum then Shawn Kupfer and his book 47 Echo is one to add to your reading list.
Are you a fan of Lisa Jackson's books ? Have you read her hit novel "Wishes"? If so then you will remember a bit of this storyline as Lisa Jackson was asked to rewrite it with a bit more meaning and deeper characters.
Review: Running Scared- Lisa Jackson- August 2010
Lisa Jackson was asked to re-write her 1999 novel "Wishes" and to give the readers more suspense and deeper and meaningful characters and if you are a fan of her later work , then you will really enjoy this book. The novel starts in 1980, when young widow Katie was about to leave her work and was given the opportunity of a lifetime. Take a newborn baby and raise it as her son as the Child's birth family wanted nothing to do with it , after losing her husband Jim and daughter Erin in a car crash -it was like a dream. Fast forward , Fifteen years and the boy whom she called Jon is fifteen years old and Katie has provided all for him and has traded her law-firm skills to being a teacher. Jon however as Katie learnt over the years has a special gift, he has visions and premonitions and a new one is starting and it shows that him and Katie are in danger and somebody wants to Kill him. Katie and Jon soon learn that his biological grandfather is dying and has left a fortune and now in order for others to collect it, Jon must be Killed. Not only that, Jon's father Daegan has turned up and wants to know his son and as we soon learn the gift Jon has is hereditary . Can Katie save Jon and then open her heart and home to Daegan ?
Find out in Lisa Jackson's revised and re-edited novel "Running Scared".