Review: Incarnate - Jodi Meadows




Looking for another Dystopian Book ? On a Dystopian Fix ?
Review : Incarnate - Book #1 NewSoul-Jodi Meadows -January 2012
As I've said plenty of times before , I am unfortunately a cover whore :P , I am obsessed with covers of books -the prettier the better and I guarantee unless I really know the author's books , I will only pick up the book due to the cover. Incarnate was a bit of both as I had heard the book circulating around in reviews and the cover is amazing. It holds an almost Prism look , the look when the sun reflects a diamond or a piece of glass.
It seems that the theme of books have moved from the supernatural life of Vampires and Werewolves after the major popularity of Twilight to the world of Dystopian fiction after the popularity of The Hunger Games.
Incarnate to me , had it's good points as well as it's bad as Incarnate tells the tale of a society in which the characters are reincarnated , all have died and been reborn in another one's body. It normally works that when someone dies , a baby is born shortly after with the deceased person's soul inside . The story starts 23years ago when a lady by the name of Ciana died , the town waited for her to be rebirthed and 18yrs ago Ana is born - everyone expects Ciana's soul to be within her but it's later discovered that Ana is a newsoul - one that has never been re-incarnated, she is the only one of her kind. Hidden away from the world and punished for being who she is , on her 18th birthday sets out to discover why this happened and what makes her -her . Along the journey, she mets Sam - a reincarnated soul and soon the pair of them connect and Sam takes her under his wing but somebody is trying to rid the world of Ana and is setting up Sam - her only true friend. Can Sam truly fall in love with Ana - a newsoul or is it true that the re-incarnated souls have long lasting soulmates ?
Incarnate reminded me of the film Aeon Flux starring Charlize Theron with the rebirthing of souls and there is a masquerade ball scene in the novel which reminds me of Drew Barrymore's movie "Ever After" A Cinderella Story.
The downside of this novel to me was that the author chucked in the midst of the story , a dragon attack which I think could have been left out as it really did not flow with the story.
In saying that though, I do look forward to reading Book #2 of Incarnate and to see where the tale of Sam and Ana ends up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid