Celebrating International Chick Lit Month



MAY IS INTERNATIONAL CHICKLIT MONTH :

Are you a fan of Chicklit ? What do you classify as a Chicklit Book ?
For the remaining of the month of May to help celebrate International Chick Lit Month, I will be featuring Guest Post's from ChickLit authors local and international , Have Top 10 Lists of favourite Chick Lit Books and the different sub-genres that fall under the Chicklit umbrella and more.

I personally am a huge fan of Chicklit Books and in 2009, my first proper online book reviewing gig was for the hit website ChicklitClub- www.chicklitclub.com and I'm still writing book reviews for them at the present time.  What goes hand in hand with Chicklit Books is Romantic Chick Flick movies , the reason being that the majority of them have been based on books to start off with and myself being a big movie buff as much as I adore books own over 200+ dvds and most being chickflicks.

What I love most about ChickLit books is the formula it follows. They have their happy-ish beginnings or maybe they start to display problems in the first few chapters , then in the middle something terrible or a tragedy will occur , maybe the guy you thought was Mr. Right will dump you , you get fired from the ultimate dream job or you find out that Mr.Right was cheating on you or in the case of P.S I Love You by Cecelia Ahern - the main character's husband died and left her letters she had to follow , which trust me if the book didn't bring tears to your eyes, the film starring the hunky Gerard Butler definitely did. Then the novel will end up with a beautiful and happy ending , the kind of ending that makes all the tragic storyline in the middle worth it, the kind of ending that makes the reader go "AWHHHHHHHHHHH" and become a hopeless romantic like myself :P

My Top Ten List of 2009:
When I first started writing for Chicklit Club , I had to list my Top 10 Chicklit Books , so authors what you must know is that prior to the list, I had read a reasonable amount of books but no where as many as I have in the past 3 years. So readers, a glimpse of the past into the year 2009 and what my Top 10 Chicklit Books were:

 
1.Shopaholic Series - Sophie Kinsella

Meet Becky Bloomwood, a die-hard shopaholic who can't control her spending habits. ( This is now a movie)

2.PS I Love You - Cecelia Ahern

An awesome book where a husband dies and leaves his grief-stricken wife a letter to open each month. (This is a movie)

3.The Devil Wears Prada - Lauren Weisberger

Where Geek-Chic meets Fashion Chic. (This is a movie)

4.Those Faraday Girls - Monica McInerney

A sisterly read, where one sister takes matters into her own hands which results in a spreading rift between family members.

5.The Nanny Diaries - Nicola Kraus and Emma McLaughlin

In some cultures it takes a village to raise a family, In New York it takes a special kind of person - a nanny. Read as our main star takes on the Xs. (This is a movie)

6. Everyone Worth Knowing - Lauren Weisberger

On paper, Bette has the perfect life but in reality it's just one huge bore until she lands the job of her dreams working in PR.

7. The Thin Pink Line - Lauren Baratz-Logsted

One woman's quest to become pregnant ends up in her faking a pregnancy.

8. Chasing Harry Winston - Lauren Weisberger

Three woman wanting love set themselves a quest to change their lives and preferably get a Harry Winston diamond ring on their finger.

9. Rosie Dunne (aka Where Rainbows End) - Cecelia Ahern

Two people destined to be together write letters to each other, as they overcome all obstacles that fall in their way including marriages to other people.

10. Thanks for the Memories - Cecelia Ahern

We've heard that when people have heart/brain transplants they remember past memories but what happens when blood transfusions cause past memories?

 Stay Tuned Readers for More ICLM Posts on The Phantom Paragrapher.

Comments

  1. I don't think of myself as particularly into Chick Lit, but Im surprised by how many of these authors I've read - Lauren W. in particular I would buy sight unseen (or blurb unread!!)
    Dee, from e-Volving Books

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid